Skip to main content

Author interview with Catherine Webb / Claire North

Author interview with Catherine Webb / Claire North

Author bio:
Catherine Webb is a Carnegie Medal-nominated British author.

Her debut, Mirror Dreams, was completed when Catherine was just 14 years old. The book was published under her own name in 2002 by Atom Books. The novel garnered comparisons with Terry Pratchett and Philip Pullman.

Catherine went on to publish a further seven young adult novels under her own name, earning extensive critical acclaim and two Carnegie nominations for her novels Timekeepers and The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle.

Under the open pseudonym Kate Griffin, Webb has published a further six fantasy novels for adults. Dubbed the Matthew Swift and Magicals Anonymous novels, these books are set in an alternate modern-day London saturated with magic.

A lifelong Londoner, Webb describes herself as a fan of big cities, urban magic, Thai food and graffiti-spotting, and she is endlessly fascinated by such questions as who leaves copies of the yellow pages on top of bus shelters, how the hidden tunnels beneath the sorting office were built, and why anyone would ever dispose of perfectly good pairs of shoes by throwing them over the nearest telephone line.

Catherine read History at the London School of Economics, and studied at RADA. In addition to penning novels, Catherine also currently works as a theatre lighting designer.

 
------------------------------------------------------------------ 


Hi Catherine, welcome to The Book Plank and for taking you time to answer these few questions.

BP: First off can you tell us a bit more about who Catherine Webb is? What are you hobbies, what do you like to do in your spare time?
CW: I’m a theatre lighting designer when I’m not writing books.  My cunning plan is that two equally unreliable career paths – theatre and writing – create one perfectly stable life.  So far, its working out alright!  When I’m not writing books, I’m lighting shows, and visa versa, and the combination gets me out of the house, pays my gas bill and, so far, keeps me vaguely sane.  I also learn a martial art – escrima – with a club in London Fields, which makes me endlessly happy.  I’ve been trying for years to learn Mandarin, which I’m pretty poor at, and I still spend an inordinate amount of time at my library.

BP: You have written many books over the last few years, do you still know when and where you decided that you wanted to become an author?
CW:  Hum… my parents both begged me not to become a writer, and their reasons for avoiding the career were good.  (Low pay, unreliable prospects, not enough social life etc..)  I don’t think, therefore, I ever decided to be a writer – in fact, I think I decided not to be a writer, and only wrote books to keep myself entertained.  To a degree, that still holds – I write books for fun, and if someone buys them, that’s a fantastic perk.  My first publishable novel was written on a school summer holiday to keep me entertained, and no one was more astonished than I was when first my parents, then an agent, then a publisher, all thought it worth a look at.  By the time I realised that I might actually be becoming an author, it was a little late….

BP: You are well known for you children’s stories, A Madness of Angels was your first adult fantasy book, did you encounter any difficulties in the transition from writing for children to adults?
CW:  Thankfully I was blessed by one easily acquirable condition – I was getting old.  My children’s books I wrote when still fairly young.  By the time I was looking at A Madness of Angels I was the sagely age of 20 years old, and though it may not seem like much, the years 16-21 are utterly redefining for a person and their life.  People change all the time, but those years when you transition out of childhood are probably the fastest, most dramatic years of change, and with that going on I suspect transitioning my writing style was a only small part of what was happening in my life at the time.

BP: Your urban fantasy books were published under a different penname, same as your latest book The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, why did you decide to do this?
CW: I became Kate Griffin when I transitioned to adult fantasy, simply so younger readers of my Catherine Webb books could tell the difference between two very different styles of writing in two very different areas.  The transition to Claire North happened in a similar-yet-different way.  The writing styles and the content of Claire North books are very different from Kate Griffin books, and while I’m massively fond of them all, it’s good to have a clear marker to indicate a different voice and style between each series.  Hence: Claire North!

BP: You have managed to keep your pseudonym secret for quite a while. Why did you decide to reveal who you were?
CW:  One of the joys of a pseudonym is that people can read a book without the author’s history affecting how they see it.  No one reading Harry August can exclaim, ‘wow, this is interesting, but where’s the urban wizardry?’ unless they also know that I’m also Kate Griffin and are deliberately looking for flavours of that style.  However, one of the dangers, it turns out, is that people then start seeing everyone else and there’s a risk that the question of ‘who’s Claire North and can we tell from her prose?’ becomes almost as much of a question as ‘is it really Catherine Webb?’  Quite what the ideal solution is between these states, I have no idea!  Should every book be a genderless, nameless thing upon which we cannot impose any perceptions of the text based on a writer’s past or gender?  Or do consistent names, and indeed the boundaries of genre and the definition a book is given by its cover, allow us to always find things we love, and thus promote reading?  I dunno.  (Discuss.)

BP: The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is something different from your UF and children’s books. Did you encounter any specific problem when you were writing The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August?
CW:  Keeping track of how old Harry August was.  I had to keep a spreadsheet.  However, other than that… Harry August was written as my book-between-books.  I was mid-contract for a series of Kate Griffin novels, but I didn’t want to write three Kate Griffin books back-to-back without some sort of break, so wrote Harry August on the side to allow my brain to re-adjust.  In an odd way, it was hugely therapeutic.  The Matthew Swift/Magicals Anonymous series had reached a point where so much of the story was tangled up with the events and the universe of the books which went before, that having something entirely separate on the side was, in many ways… simpler.  I know, given the nature of the book, ‘simple’ may not be the word that springs to mind, but honestly, it did feel… rather relaxing!

BP: What was the most difficult part when you were writing The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August?
CW:  … the most difficult part of the book, or the most difficult part of the process…? (Oddly different things, though I feel like a bit of a loon for asking!) 
I’d say that probably one of the hardest parts of the book was actually one of the less narratively significant ones – when Harry August goes to China.  I’ve never been to China, and though I’m learning Chinese and studied Chinese history, the madness of the Great Leap Forward and, even more, the Cultural Revolution, is something I still struggle to comprehend.  How do you write a country that is changing so much, and an ideology that was in so much flux?  Worse: how do you write something like that convincingly, when so much evidence is contradictory or obscure?  The scenes in China were tricky, to say the least.
However!  In a more process-orientated way, I’d say that finding an overall narrative framework that provided momentum was initially difficult.  Once it was solved, it was fine, but pinning down what it is that drives Harry for hundreds of years, what motivates him and makes him change, was an adventure in itself, not least as it’d be incredibly easy for a character in his position to lapse into idle nothingness.  Since the greatest question of his existence – why does he exist? – is one of the few things he can’t answer, it made sense to pursue this, but fairly quickly you find yourself as the writer asking another question: is quantum physics as narratively thrilling as love and betrayal?
Thankfully, it turned out that quantum physics can at the very least, be a driving factor for love and betrayal, and things got easier after that.

BP: Besides the hardest part of the book, which part did you enjoy writing about the most?
CW: If I had to boil it down to a single thing that made me smile… Fidel Gussman made me happy.  The book is replete with adventures and recollections, flawed characters and betrayals.  Fidel Gussman was an honest bit of simple, gun-toting joy in the middle of a life that lacked for punch-lines.

BP: The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August has some pretty cool idea’s. For example the kalachakra, how did you come up with this idea?
CW: I was standing on the high street in Stratford Upon Avon during my secondment with the Royal Shakespeare Company.  It was the very end of a two-year Technical Theatre and Stage Management course at RADA, and I was having to face up to What Happened Next, whatever that turned out to be.  It was a very hot day, I was in my steel-capped boots which were beginning to hurt from too much abuse.  I was in town as a student lighting technician working in the Courtyard Theatre, we’d just finished putting in the show for the matinee and I had four hours off until we turned around the theatre again for the evening show.  This was a ritual we repeated every single day for three weeks.  I didn’t know anyone, I’d seen the swans, I didn’t really have anywhere to go, and the town was full of tourists and strangers.  Right there, that moment there… that’d be the moment when the idea popped into my head with an absolute certainty and a compulsion to get typing as soon as possible.  Make of that what you will….

BP: Now that The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is published and your second book from Claire North, Touch, has been announced do you have still any other projects that you wish to pursue? A new Matthew Swift book or Magicals Anonymous? Or again something completely new?
CW:  Hum… a few months ago I finished a book that is still, alas, catagorised as topsecretproject4 until it’s officially bought by someone.  Topsecretproject4 is completely different from anything I’ve ever written before, and like most things I do which are complete departures, I wrote it on the side to keep my brain ticking over and entertained.  Even as I write that sentence, I realise just how patient my agent must be with me… ah well…
There is, as you say, another Claire North book due out next year, and I’m also writing some novellas and another Claire North book to go after that.  All of this will probably take me into 2015 without breaking a sweat, and by then… who knows?  I love writing the Matthew Swift and Magicals Anonymous books, but, as I often exclaim to anxious theatre directors, for me to say anything definitive right now would probably be reckless speculation, rather than absolute fact.  I wrote Harry August on the side, for my own delight between theatre work, and it has massively changed what I write and how I write in ways I couldn’t have imagined two years ago.  At the moment there are no definite plans to write more Kate Griffin books.  Neither is there any reason why I can’t.  Whatever happens, I intend to keep writing!  I guess the answer is… ask me in twelve months time… one year at a time….

BP: Everyone enjoys fantasy and science fiction in their own way. What do you like most about it?
CW:  It does more.  I am very tempted to leave those three words as a glib (yet true) summary of my feelings, but in the interest of full disclosure let me elaborate!
It does more.  It pushes its characters further, harder, than other genres can.  It clones people, redefines memories, bodies, minds, prods and tears with machines and magics at society and souls.  It destroys the world and asks ‘what next’, challenges characters and readers both to think beyond their understanding of where they live and who they are – who they might be.  It creates futures, extrapolates the ‘now’ into a ‘then’, plays with ‘what if’ and ‘what might be’, challenges the ethics of the internet age and explores time, space and history with delight.  It makes humanity tiny, a piddling little species in a sea of stars, and that’s okay.  It makes people gods, builds empires of technology and magic, faith and power.  Science fiction and fantasy are not restrictive terms.  These books are not not crime, or romance, or thriller, and they do not not contain within them stories and feelings every bit as passionate and true as any of the greatest novels of mainstream literature.  Science fiction and fantasy are all of these things, can contain all of these things, and then be something more as well.  It does more.

BP: and just lastly, if you would have to name your top five favourite books, which would they be?
CW: I’m struggling with this to a degree, because my entire book collection is on the floor of the nook known as the-mystery-corner-of-unclear-yet-probably-structurally-vital-purpose in my flat, waiting for shelves to be built.  Without being able to walk along it and inspect its works, it can be tricky to pin down… but let’s see…

1.     The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.  (I know that’s ten books, but stick with me…)
2.     The Long Goodbye, by Raymond Chandler.  (Or: anything by Chandler ever.)
3.     Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett.  (I nearly put ‘all the Vimes books’ but you might have hurt me.)
4.     Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell.
5.     A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula le Guin. 

Not going to lie, I love everything by George Orwell, and it was a toss-up in place 5 for anything by le Guin or Neil Gaiman, or indeed for the Complete Garfield Classics which are my go-to books during stress, or the adventures of Asterix the Gaul, or Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, or the works of H.G.Wells or the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes or anything by Iain M. Banks or Tale for Time Being by Ruth Ozeki or… just so much… soooo much…. Also, I know it’s not ‘books’ strictly speaking, but as a lighting designer can I take this moment to say that I love lighting Shakespeare plays?  If anyone needs an LD for a production of the Tempest – magic, storms, redemption, revenge etc. - or any of the history plays or anything, give me a call….

BP: Thank you for your time Catherine, I will be looking forward to reading your next book!
CW:  Thank you!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los